Thursday, December 2, 2010

How I managed to save (most) of my hair during chemo

When I was told I would be having chemo before surgery (and 6 rounds of chemo at that) my first thought wasn’t about how sick the chemo was going to make me.  Nor was my first thought about how chemo would be my best chance at eradicating the breast cancer they had found in my liver.  My first thought was that I didn’t want to lose my hair.  Believe it or not there are women who REFUSE chemotherapy treatment because the thought of losing their hair is just too much.  I didn’t fall into that category, but I was heartbroken at the thought of going bald. 
My oncologist told me that the specific combination of chemo I would be receiving made me eligible to try the “Penguin Cold Caps” if I was interested in trying to save my hair, although there would be no guarantee as to the type of results I would have since the administration of the caps falls squarely onto the shoulders of the patient and whomever they have helping them.  Was I interested?  Hell yes!  Did I know what I was getting myself into?  Hell no.
Penguin Cold Caps have been in widespread use in the UK for years, but haven’t really caught on in the U.S. yet, although a recent piece on “Good Morning America” may put them on the map sooner rather than later.  Because Beaumont is an awesome hospital they were already hip to the cold caps.
Basically the “science” behind the theory that wearing these frozen caps during chemotherapy reduces hair loss is based on the notion that the cold will constrict the hair follicles making them less susceptible to the chemo.  The freezing also puts the hair follicles to “sleep” so the chemo doesn’t recognize them as actively dividing cells and won’t go after them.
I envisioned one frozen cap that would stay plugged in to keep it cold and that you would wear this on your head while you were having chemotherapy.  In a more perfect world, that’s what it would be.  Instead they put you in a private room with a freezer.  Inside the freezer are multiple caps.  You have to start putting the caps on at least an hour before chemo starts to make sure your head is nice and frozen before any chemotherapy drugs are administered.  Then you have to swap them out every 30 minutes for a new frozen one to ensure you maintain a nice frosty temperature on your head.  Not only does this go on during the chemotherapy session itself, but it has to continue for 3 HOURS after the last of the chemo is done as your body continues to process the drugs for at least that long afterwards.  So, instead of going in for a couple hours to get your chemo regimen, this is now an all day 8 hour ordeal.  Insurance doesn’t cover the cost of cold caps either and they’re not cheap to use.  Pricing may vary, but I had to pay $150.00 to “rent” the caps every time I had chemo (6 rounds).  You also have to really baby your hair the whole time you're going through chemo to further try and reduce any hair loss.  This includes cutting down on the number of times per week you wash your hair, using only baby shampoo when you do wash your hair, not using a blow dryer or any other heat related products to style your hair, etc. and not being able to get your hair colored or treated in any way whatsoever for up to 3 months after chemotherapy ends.  So, yes you can try and save your hair, but it will look like hell in the process.
Oh, and you can't put these caps on and take them off by yourself so you need at least one other person there with you all day, each time to help you.  Chemotherapy was not only about getting the drugs, but it became a balancing act of timers, thermostats and always trying to figure out an “easier” way of doing this.  The obvious question people would ask was “Is it cold?”  Fuck yes, it was cold!  Did I mention that these things are frozen?  Did I mention they’re on your head all day?  Administering these caps during chemo was a nightmare, but I have to admit I had decent results.  Don’t get me wrong I still shed a lot of hair, but I had a lot to lose as it was super thick to start with.  Would I recommend the cold caps?  Yes, but be aware of what you’re getting yourself into and make sure you have 1-2 people who are willing to come with you to every chemo appointment to help you.  If the caps aren’t administered correctly – even one time – you risk losing all your hair so make sure these are people you trust to do it right.  If you're interested in learning more about the Penguin Cold Caps you can find more information here:

http://www.msc-worldwide.com/indexusa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment